What better quiz can there be on a website than one which may well require a bit of research on the Net? See what you make of this mixed bag.
1. In which year did Charles Darwin set out his Theory of Evolution? – 1859
2. In what year was the first Tour de France run? – 1903
3. What was the name of the computer which controlled the spaceship in the film “2001, A Space Odyssey”? – HAL
4. In what year was Monty Python’s Flying Circus first shown on British TV? – 1969
5. What did John Walker invent in 1827? – The first practical lucifer match.
6. Who succeeded William Wordsworth as Poet Laureate? – Alfred, Lord Tennyson
7. In what year did the first issue of “Punch” appear? – 1841
8. Who is the murder victim in T S Eliot’s “Murder in the Cathedral”? – Thomas a’Becket
9. In which county is Dunlop cheese traditionally made? – Ayrshire.
10. In what year did Thomas Sutton patent the first single lens reflex camera? – 1861
11. When was the Black Death in Britain? – 1348-1349
12. Where is the Sea of Tranquility? – On the Moon.
13. What is the most westerly place in mainland Scotland? – Ardnamurchan Point.
14. When was Wymondham’s Market cross erected? – 1617-1618
15. Who fought his last battle at Camlann on Bodmin Moor and who was his princely opponent? – Arthur/Mordred