This Charity is just over two hundred years’ old – a little over 1 acre of land was allocated from Ashwellthorpe’s Inclosure Award of 2 February 1814 in trust to lay out the profits “in purchasing fuel, to be distributed among such persons as were described in the Inclosure Act”. These persons were “the inhabitants legally settled in the parish and not occupying more than the yearly value of £8.” This piece of land is one strip of a larger field on the south side of the Wymondham Road just past Woodlands.
The Charities Act 1960 led to the need for Charity registration which became effective in September 1962, its land and its administration has nothing to do with the Parish Council and, since 1962, it has operated with two to four Trustees. The rent from this land has been paid out once a year at Christmas time, initially by the purchase and distribution of coal, then a combination of coal and/or electricity stamps and, from 1999 with the verbal permission of the Charity Commission, by small cash donations to recipients.
The Trustees of the Charity would be most interested to hear from anyone (in complete confidence) who would like to be considered for any help or from others who might know of someone in Ashwellthorpe in need (again, in complete confidence). Please contact one of the Trustees – Jennifer Robbie on 01508 489432 or Barry Duffin on 01508 489531.